Edwin Preece 1845 - 1922
Birth: 6 April 1845 Back Homend Ledbury Hereford
- registered in Ledbury in 2nd Qtr 1845 -
- GRO Ref Vol XXVI page 1_1 (Free BMD)
- Informant Ann Preece, mother (formerly Owels) who could not sign her name.
- Source: Certificate held by Andrew Preece
Death: Q1 1922 Burton reg district, STS
- Source: GRO Index March 1922 Edwin Preece, age 76, Burton, 6b 543
Father: William Preece
Mother: Ann Howells
Siblings:More details of this family
Wife: Sarah Slater
Marriage: 4 August, 1866 Burton-upon-Trent STS ENG
Note: Edwin is definitely only 21 here (from birth certificate). Possibly lying about age to help conceal a greater lie about Sarah's age, who from the 1881 census is only 18 or 19 at marriage (not 21 as stated).
- GRO Ref: 3 Q 1866 BURTON UPON TRENT 6b 462
- Salem Chapel, Station Street, Burton-upon-Trent
- According to the rites and ceremonies of the Particular Baptists
- Edwin Preece, age 22 years, Bachelor, profession Joiner, Residence Derby Street, Burton-upon-Trent
- Sarah Slater, age 21 years, Spinster, profession Milliner and dress-maker, residence Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent
- Edwin's father: William Preece, Cooper
- Sarah's father: Henry Slater (deceased), Tinman(?)
- Witnesses Charles Sanders, Eliza Woodings
- All signed
- D.B. Joseph, Minister R.R. Bellamy, Registrar
- Source: Marriage entry copy held by Andrew Preece
Children:More details of this family
See family page for 1871-1911 censuses
- Passed down family that be was Manager at Marmite Factory (verbal via Sarah Anne Ottewell). The first Marmite factory opened in Burton in 1902, when Edwin was 57.
- Newspaper report of his funeral implies he had worked most of his life at Charrington & Co - a brewery that became part of Bass. No mention of Marmite virtually every record gives his occupation as 'Joiner'.